Sunday, February 12, 2006

In the beginning was nethack...

A month ago I received a new linux gadget for my collection, the Nokia 770 Internet Tablet. I bought that device because I was looking an affordable ebook reader device and I found on N770 the best choice.

It finally arrived to my hands I had been greatly impressed with its screen, was exactly what I wanted.

I’ve started to install my required software. First I installed xterm that let me investigate internals of that gadget. After I installed fbreader, this was my primary target after all. Now I finished read two books since then. The third piece of software that I’ve installed was nethack and that was my first deception, because I couldn’t execute the game on my device, two days after I discovered on the author’s port page that something was wrong on latest firmware.

That was a perfect introductory challenge to learn about maemo development. I’ve started downloading latest ubuntu and installing it. After I followed maemo’s tutorial steps for install development tools and “hello world sample”. Next step was download nethack port sources from Ralf Engels and started to solve compile and execution problems that I found. When main problems solved and obtained first functionally version I started improve it according my interface preferences.

Here you can download binary and source packages.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

good work man!

JasonR said...

Awesome.

-Jason

Anonymous said...

thanks I was eager to test this